Sr. Extension Associate for Ornamental Crops
AREA OF WORK
Brian works with producers of greenhouse and nursery crops as well as Christmas tree growers. He conducts applied research and delivers educational programs in these areas with the goal of improving pest management and the adoption of IPM techniques.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture, Delaware Valley College, Doylestown, PA 1982 – 1986
- Master of Science in Plant Pathology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 1986-1988
- Cornell Cooperative Extension of Monroe County , Horticulture Program Leader. 1995-2006
- University of Kentucky Plant Pathology Department, Plant Disease Diagnostician 1989-1995
- Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Regulatory Diagnostic Laboratory 1986
- Assist Western NY Cornell Cooperative Extension educators in the development, design, conduct, and reporting of Ornamental or Community IPM projects funded through the NYS IPM Program.
- Act as technical resource for other Ornamental and Community IPM extension activities in Western NY.
- Assessment of IPM needs for the production of ornamentals plants in Western NY
- Evaluation of Alternative Herbicides for Control of Annual and Perennial Weeds in Ornamental Gardens
- Promotion of weed suppressive groundcover research results
MEMBERSHIPS & SERVICE
Cornell’s Program Work Teams:
- Landscape Horticulture (Co-chair 2002-05)
NYS Certified Nursery Professional
American Society of Horticulture Science
American Phytopathological Society
Board Member NYS Region 5, Nursery Association