Sample SOP: Cleaning and Sanitizing Surfaces, Tools, and Equipment
On-Farm Decision Tree Project: Sanitation and Postharvest Handling, v5. 08/11/2014
E.A. Bihn, M.A. Schermann, A.L. Wszelaki, G.L. Wall, and S.K. Amundson, 2014
National Good Agricultural Practices Program
- Purpose: Describes how food contact surfaces, tools, and equipment are to be cleaned and sanitized.
- Scope: Applies to farm and packinghouse personnel including farm owners and workers.
- Responsibility: Workers are responsible for following the SOPs to properly clean and sanitize food contact surfaces.
Farm owners and food safety managers are responsible for training the workers on proper technique, providing necessary resources such as tools, detergents and sanitizers, and making sure the cleaning and sanitizing steps are followed correctly.
- Detergent name, brand, and concentration (labeled for use on food contact surfaces) [Provide name here]
- Sanitizer name, brand, and concentration [Provide name here]
- Container(s) as needed for mixing and using detergent(s) and sanitizer(s) or for washing tools
- Brushes, sponges, or towels for scrubbing tools and equipment
- Clean water (microbial equivalent to drinking water)
- The surface should be brushed or rinsed to remove visible dirt and debris.
- Prepare the detergent [Add detergent mixing or preparation instructions here].
- Apply the prepared detergent solution and scrub the surfaces moving in the direction top to bottom for large pieces of equipment. Detergent should be mixed according to the product instructions.
- Rinse the surface with clean water until all soap suds are rinsed away moving in the direction top to bottom for large pieces of equipment.
- Prepare the sanitizer. [Add sanitizer mixing or preparation instructions here].
- Apply the prepared sanitizer solution. Allow it to sit for [Enter number of minutes according to product instructions] minutes.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Let the surface air dry.