Position: Integrated Weed Management Specialist, Extension Associate
The New York State Integrated Pest Management program (NYSIPM) is a nationally recognized leader in the development and promotion of IPM practices. The Integrated Weed Management Specialist will facilitate and lead statewide IPM demonstration, implementation, and research activities in integrated weed management across agricultural commodity areas, and collaborate with NYSIPM staff and other Cornell University faculty and Cornell Cooperative Extension specialists to facilitate and lead statewide demonstration, implementation, and research activities on alternative weed management practices as an IPM strategy.
- Develop and implement a statewide educational program in weed Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
- Provide leadership for planning, implementing and evaluating educational programs that address producer and IPM practitioner-identified needs and opportunities. Emphasis is on programming that demonstrates IPM principles and practices, and promotes their adoption by growers and other practitioners.
- Individually and collaboratively explore and pursue new and additional funding sources to enhance and extend weed IPM opportunities.
- Lead and coordinate weed IPM Extension activities.
- Develop educational materials in support of weed IPM adoption, such as manuals, fact sheets, videos, websites, decision support tools, mobile applications, etc.
- Plan a cohesive and coordinated effort to promote adoption of weed IPM practices such as cover cropping, cultivation and crop rotation.
- Provide technical guidance and educational support in weed IPM practices for extension off-campus staff, and Area IPM Extension Educators.
- Plan and conduct weed IPM demonstrations.
Key Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required to Perform the Work of This Position
- Knowledge of the philosophy and practice of IPM
- Knowledge of the philosophy, objectives and operation of an informal education system such as Cornell Cooperative Extension.
- Ability to initiate, plan, conduct and evaluate informal adult education programs
- Ability to define, conduct and interpret applied research and demonstration projects .
- Ability to communicate effectively: verbally, written, and multi-media
- Ability to lead and participate in teams
MS (required) or PhD (preferred) degree in Weed Science, Agronomy, Agriculture or closely related field.
Minimum of 2 years professional experience in Extension education and/or research in IPM with an emphasis on integrated weed management. Graduate student experience may be applicable.
Application, Submit by August 31, 2016:
Curriculum vitae, letter of interest, names and contact information for three references, and a one page statement about your philosophy of IPM and effective ways of promoting and evaluating IPM implementation. Submit application at AcademicJobsOnline: NYS IPM.
Start Date: October 1, 2016 or when a suitable candidate is identified.
Location: New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, Cornell University, Geneva, New York. Overnight travel will be required.