Program Staff: Jennifer Grant
|Co-Director, NYS IPM
Community and Turfgrass IPM Specialist
NYSAES, Geneva, 315.787.2209
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D., Entomology, Cornell University, 2000
- M.S., Entomology, University of Vermont, 1989
- B.S., International Agriculture, University of Vermont, 1983
- Ornamentals IPM Specialist, NYS IPM Program, 1989-1996
- Provide coordination of the Community IPM Program.
- Act as program liaison to Community IPM specialists.
- Secure funding for Community IPM efforts, as necessary.
- Interact with faculty and Extension field staff to coordinate and encourage IPM research and implementation.
- Conduct applied integrative research in a variety of turfgrass systems (golf courses, athletic fields, and lawns).
- Evaluation of Golf Turf Management Systems with Reduced Chemical Pesticide Inputs. A systems comparison of conventional, IPM and non-chemical management of golf course greens under both standard and alternative (stress-reducing) cultural practices. USGA-funded site is all 18 greens of an operational golf course on Long Island. Sister project is funded by NYS IPM and sited on research plots in Ithaca.
- Environmental Impact Quotient (EIQ) for Turfgrass. Expanding the previously developed EIQ for agriculture to include turfgrass chemicals and further adapting the model to reflect turfgrass usage, exposure, and site specificity (partial funding from USGA).
- Organic amendments for Athletic Fields (with J. Lamboy). Project compares the effects of compost topdressing on athletic fields in four areas of the state.
- Understanding and Reducing Pesticide Use for Lawns, Landscapes and Homes (with J. Lamboy). Part of a series of educational modules produced by BCERF (Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors in NY program).
Accomplishments (Past Five Yearsrejoined staff in 2000)
- Initiated groundbreaking non-chemical research on golf turf.
- Incorporated turfgrass training in school IPM training's throughout the state.
- Revised Community IPM grub brochure.
MEMBERSHIPS & SERVICE
- Entomological Society of America, 1984-present
- Society of Invertebrate Pathologists, 1996-present
- NY State Turfgrass Assoc. Educational Committee, 2000-present
- Cornell University Program Work Team (PWT) Member for:
-Landscape Horticulture, 2001-forward
-Waste Management, 2001-forward
- Community IPM Coordinating Council member, 2001-forward
- IPM Operating Committee member, 2000-present
- Organizing team member, IPM Protocols for Golf Courses in the Northeast Conference, 1/2001, regional conference held in New Brunswick, NJ.
- Organizing team member, Turfgrass Entomology 2000 Conference, 2/2000, National Conference held in Geneva, NY.
- Co-organizer of ESA Eastern Branch Symposium on Field Applications of Pathogens for Insect Management, 2000.
- Entomopathogenic Nematode Discussion Group, Co-founder and organizer, Cornell University, 1997-1999
HONORS & DISTINCTIONS
- Excellence in IPM Award, 1997