The New York State Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Program seeks nominations for its annual "Excellence in IPM Awards" for the year 2013.
Candidates for Excellence in IPM Awards should be individuals or organizations in New York State whose work in IPM deserves special recognition. They might be awarded for
- developing new IPM tools;
- evaluating IPM methods in their operations, businesses, or organizations;
- encouraging demonstrations and adoption of IPM;
- promoting IPM and bolstering the adoption of IPM practices.
Previous IPM award winners have worked with the NYS IPM Program, commodity groups, private organizations, Cornell Cooperative Extension, and in other settings to help develop and promote the use of IPM. We seek nominations for people in agricultural IPM (fruit, vegetables, ornamentals, and livestock and field crops) and community IPM (schools, homes, landscapes, turf, and municipalities). New Yorkers involved in communicating about IPM through the media are also eligible.
Additional information about the NYS IPM Program can be found at this website.
For more details about previous award winners, please see Excellence in IPM Awards.
What to Submit
To nominate an individual or an organization, you must meet one of these criteria or co-nominate with someone who does:
- be an employee of Cornell University or Cornell Cooperative Extension;
- serve on a NYS IPM Program committee.
No self-nominations will be accepted. Re-nominations of people suggested in other years are welcome if the material is updated.
Please submit a hard-copy letter with the following information (no longer than two pages):
- Your name, title, organization, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and affiliation with the nominee.
- Nominee's name, title, organization, address, telephone number, and e-mail address. *It is appropriate to nominate a committee, organization or other type of group.
- Reasons for the nomination, including a description of the nominee's operation (e.g., farm, consulting firm, business) if applicable, IPM philosophy, IPM innovations, and other activities relevant to IPM. If you are nominating an organization, describe the business products or services and its IPM philosophy and practices.
- Suggestions for suitable venues for presenting the award, for example the statewide Fruit and Vegetable Expo or NYS Turf & Grounds Expo.
- Photos of the nominee practicing IPM are appreciated (but not required) at the time of submission, or later if you are notified that your nominee has won an award.
- At least two letters of recommendation from people who have been positively affected by the nominee.
- Additional information (newspaper articles, letters, photographs, etc.) as appropriate.
Where to Submit
Submit hardcopy nominations by mail to:
Janet Garlick, Administrator
NYS IPM Program
630 W. North Street
Geneva, NY 14456
Nominations must be received at the IPM Program office on or before October 11, 2013. Email submissions will not be accepted.
Determination of Award Winners
The NYS IPM Program staff work with Cornell Cooperative Extension, the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, and the IPM Operating Committee to select Excellence in IPM Award winners from the nomination pool.
Presentation of Awards
IPM awards are traditionally presented at a professional meeting or conference, appropriate to the individual's area of expertise. Such events allow award winners to be recognized by their colleagues and friends-people who can greatly appreciate their achievements. Your suggestions on an appropriate venue for presentation are welcomed and greatly appreciated.