Established by Governor Pataki in 1992, this group of agricultural producers meets twice yearly, advising us on broad-scale plans and activities that ensure high-level grower input. We ask committee members to stay in touch with their state legislators — providing their perspectives on IPM’s value — and to inform their respective industry groups about IPM Program developments and direction.
SWIGAC’s 25 to 30 members attend two meetings each year: informed insiders, members share the responsibility of helping the agricultural industry understand and support IPM Program goals.
The role and influence of grower members should not be underestimated. The committee
- reviews and suggests changes to the New York IPM Strategic Long-Range Plan
- ranks IPM extension projects by importance
- approves use of program funds to develop innovative new programming
- helps shape the IPM Program budget process
- provides guidance on measuring economic and environmental impacts of IPM
Members interact with the commissioner of the Department of Agriculture and Markets; dean of Cornell's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; and the IPM Executive Committee to discuss evolving agricultural policies and directions for New York — frequently before these are shared with the industry as a whole. Through providing feedback and helping set meeting agendas, their perspectives are incorporated into the decisions and policies of the IPM Program.
- Warren Abbott, Abbott Farms
- Richard Ball, Commissioner, NYS Agriculture & Markets, Division of Plant Industry
- Walter Blackler, Apple Acres
- Kathryn Boor, Dean, CALS Dean's Office
- Juliet Carroll, Fruit IPM Coordinator, NYS IPM Program
- Dick DeGraff, Grindstone Farm
- Joann Delaney, Delaney Farm
- Kevin Engelbert, Engelbert Farms
- James Eve, Eves Crop Advisory Service
- Jody Gangloff-Kaufmann, Community IPM Coordinator, NYS IPM Program
- Tom Giles, Maple Valley Farms
- Jennifer Grant, Director, NYS IPM Program
- Laurie Griffen, Saratoga Sod Farm
- Chuck Hafner, Chuck Hafner's Farmers Market & Garden Center, Inc.
- Brymer Humphreys, Field Crops / Vegetable Grower
- Margaret Kelly, NYS Dept of Agriculture & Markets, Division of Plant Industry
- Jeff Kubecka, Kubecka Farms
- Elizabeth Lamb, Ornamental IPM Coordinator, NYS IPM Program
- Lou Lego, Elderberry Farm & Restaurant
- Elise Lobdell, Professional IPM Scout
- Chris Logue, NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets, Division of Plant Industry
- Doug Mason, Mason Farm
- Gerry Miller, H. G. Miller Farm Inc.
- Dick Moore, Tree Farm, LLC
- Robert Noble, Dairy Farmer
- Jan Nyrop, CALS Dean Office
- Tom Overton, Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Dennis Rak, Double A Vineyards, Inc.
- Brian Reeves, Berry Grower, Onondaga County Veg Growers Assoc.
- Reenie Sandsted, Baker's Acres
- Abby Seaman, Vegetable IPM Coordinator, NYS IPM Program
- Bob Smith, Chestnut Ridge Nursery
- Don Sweet, Crop Consultant
- Don Tones, Wine Grape Grower
- J. Keith Waldron, Livestock / Field Crop IPM Coordinator, NYS IPM Program
- Roger Ward, Farm Fresh First, LLC
- Chris Watkins, Director, CALS Cooperative Extension, Cornell Coop. Ext
- Mark Wrisley, Organic and Conventional Field Crops producer
- Mark Zittel, Amos Zittel and Sons, Inc.
updated January 2015